Thanks to VEDA this year, I got to know some more crazy cool people. One of those fabulous people is Lauren and I love reading her blog. So. HARD.
Recently she wrote a post about how she loves getting to know people and learning things about her friends that surprise her, and how she loves learning the things about herself that people are surprised to learn…And she posted a list of things that people find surprising to learn about her. I thought it was a great idea for a post, so with her permission, I’m borrowing her brilliant idea.
Some things about me that surprise people:
- I was a twin
- My BFF is a boy (and also my ex) and even my siblings love him like a brother. I think it’s the coolest thing EVER.
- I can turn pretty much anything into a TWSS joke and I don’t care if it doesn’t make sense. (TWSS)
- I’ve got keeping people at arm’s length down to an art. To the point that they don’t even know that’s what I’m doing… I guess that’s why it’s surprising?
- I’ve been engaged three times.
- I LOVE politics. When I was a teenager, I even went to conventions. Yep.
- I was a smoker (Sorry Mum!)
- I lost my dad as I knew him when I was 14. This probably sounds dramatic, but it’s true. Don’t get me wrong, I love my Dad and am so lucky he’s still with us. But he changed after his accident and I think that was more traumatic than people realise. It had a huge impact on my life.
- I love, love, love basketball. I’d go to my brothers’ games and be that annoying family member shouting from the bleachers. Yup, I was THAT person. I can argue the stupidity of the clear path rule and whinge about how refs never call traveling like every other basketball fan.
- I did not go into the ‘family business’. (As in… I’m not a teacher)
- My first career love was in radio and I was selected to do the graveyard shift at a tiny station because the PD loved my voice when he came to be a guest lecturer/critique in my radio class in college.
- I’m not quiet, a push-over or a doormat. I might come off that way at times, but it’s because I’m observing you and taking mental notes. That isn’t meant to sound creepy. It just is what it is.
- I can sing. And play keys. And uke. And a little bit of bass guitar…
- I play in a band. Sure, it’s been over a year since we’ve played a gig that people actually paid to see us, but yup…
- I play WoW. Want proof? I rolled a belf hunter as my main Horde side and never looked back. My DPS is shit, but I’ve raided and even ran DS 10 mans on normal. You’re welcome.
- When people get me talking about my life philosophies, I’m often accused of being a hippie.
- I’m not quite 30 years old yet, but I already have 14 years of experience in my field of work. This is both a blessing and a curse.
- If you ask for my help, whether I like you or not, I will do my best to help you. Because we’re all in this together. (See? I’m a hippie…)
- I can be a fairly spiritual person. Not to be mistaken for religious. There is a difference, trust me.
What do people find surprising about you?
photo credit: uketeecee via photopin cc